Okay first of all: Enjoy whatever you like, really, but be aware of who creates it. (I still like Eminem’s music no matter how much I am aware of how problematic he is) Now here have a list:
- He is an intelligence/education elitist. This whole nerdculture, I-read-books-and-love-cool-history-facts-i-am-better-than-you attitude is really getting on my nerves (I’d love to give you sources on this but my internet here is slow and videos/gifs won’t load but you’ll find plenty in the tags)
- The way he asked out his wife is beyond creepy and acceptable
- He reblogged this very, very, very problematic post:(it’s from my blog so the explanation why it is problematic is there, too)
- Which leads to this very very very stupid quote from him
- His writing and plotting is generally bad (this is now opinion), but just take a look atAn Abundance of Katherines’ wikipedia artice+ he needs really big effects to make the thing work: Main Character deaths (this is not something bad in itself but this is the only plot ever), overdramatic scenes (the kissing in the Anne Frank house- really, REALLY? ) + he always inserts himself in his main characters
- He perpetuates the stereotype of the manic pixie dream girl and when called out on that he gets really whiny or says "but they do it too"
- He made that manix pixie dream girl idea even more toxic (yes another one of my posts)
- He says dumb things about women, claiming himself a feminist (and yet calling nerd girls resources)
- He makes people scared of growing up and talks shit about adults
tl;dr: He is a self-entitled, arrogant, overrated mediocre author with some very harmful aspects.